Friday, June 23, 2017

Book Review: The Book of Greens by Jenn Louis with Kathleen Squires

This book is full of recipes for healthy greens that are full of different vitamins. It shows how to take care of the greens after you buy them, how to prepare them, and how to cook them so they will maintain their appropriate taste and texture. It gives an introduction to each of the kind of greens that are used, as well as lists different varieties of the greens, what season to use them, how to choose, clean, store, and refresh them. It gives cooking methods, other food items that pair well with them, and usually a picture of each type of green, and one picture of a recipe within the group of recipes included (from what I noticed). There are a variety of recipes to use hot or cold.

This cookbook has been helpful to me because I was interested in learning about which greens have Vitamin K in them, which I try to eat a vegetable that contains Vitamin K at least once a day. I often fall short of that goal, so I just bought some Vitamin K vitamins to help make up for the days I don't get to eat them.

A lot of the recipes seem kind of complex to me, I think because I am not used to cooking with greens and usually eat them only in salads. It has helped me to understand that a lot of greens are available at Farmer's Markets. I like the recipes will challenge my cooking skills!

There was one part of the book that lists a theory from someone else that used some bad language in it that I would have rather not read. I am thinking of tearing that page out of the book so I will not come across it again because all the rest of the book seems helpful to me.

This book helped show me some more interesting ways to cook greens, especially with meats.
It is full of recipes to help make eating greens more interesting. I hope to try out some of the recipes soon!


My review= 4.5 out of 5 stars

I received this book free from Blogging for Books for the purpose of reviewing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment