Monday, May 1, 2017

Specialty Bible Review: NIrV: Once Upon A Time Holy Bible


This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.

This Once Upon a Time Holy Bible uses the NIrV translation, which is a translation that uses the NIV and also shorter and easier to understand words. It contains Bible stories throughout the pages in a "Once Upon A Time" format, like in children's storybooks. Each story is 3-4 pages long and contains colored illustrations. The stories are random and often happen about 500 pages between each other. This Bible also includes a short dictionary of what I consider mostly starter Bible words in the back after the Bible text and a listing of great Bible stories with Scripture references, which are pretty much all / most of the stories that taught to children in Sunday School and other children's church programming.

I read through the books of Amos and Obadiah in this Bible and the language did seem easier to understand than some Bible translations. I also compared this NIrV translation to the NIV in a section of the book of Matthew and I could tell where some parts of the NIV stayed and some parts of it had easier to understand language included.

I noticed that all of the "Once Upon A Time" stories were not found within the Scriptures they support, but went in order from what I noticed. They are random throughout the Bible and did not really distract me from the text they were around, since they are on separate pages. I noticed that some of the stories added some fiction to it, such as with the story of Ruth and Boaz, Ruth asks Boaz to care for her and Naomi and Boaz agrees, although in the real Bible story Boaz asks some other man first before he agrees to take care of them.

In my opinion, this specialty Bible does a great job of focusing on Bible stories and makes the language easier to understand for children.

My review= 4.5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this Specialty Bible free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment