Sunday, February 12, 2017

Book Review: A Different Kind of Passover by Linda Leopold-Strauss, Illustrated by Jeremy Tugeau

This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.

A little girl is used to celebrating Passover (Pesach) a certain way with her family. Her grandfather just got out of the hospital though and it is feeling much different. He is confined to his room and that doesn't seem right to her. She thinks of an idea of how he can be included with Passover from his room, and although Passover is not exactly the same as it was the year before, at least Grandpa can still participate.

I liked how the little girl found a way to include her grandfather in Passover and adapted to the changes. I think that helped lift her grandfather's spirit also. I also liked how the family was willing to take her suggestion.

The only thing I had a hard time with was a place in the book where it explained a teen (youth) sipped some wine. I know it's a tradition during/after bar mitzvahs but I fear that could develop into something stronger for some youth. I would feel more comfortable leaving that part of the story out if I read this story to any children.

To me this sounds like a story of hope, not just for the grandpa in the story that is trying to recover but for the whole family!

My review = 4 out of 5 stars

I received this book free for the purpose of reviewing it.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment