Friday, December 23, 2016

Book Review: If You Were Me And Lived In...Israel by Carole P. Roman, Illustrated by Kelsea Wierenga

This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.

If You Were Me And Lived In...Israel by Carole P. Roman is another great addition to the A Child's Introduction to Culture Around the World series! It follows the format of the other topics in the series, such as where Israel is located in the world, popular names for children, a famous city, a famous tourist attraction, a popular holiday celebrated, foods, and games. Names are given in Hebrew for words such as doll, market, and school. There is a pronunciation guide in the back of the book of words in English, their pronunciations in Hebrew, and their English definitions.

I like that a tiny section of the globe is highlighted in the illustration on the front cover so children can visualize just how small Israel is. The children that are featured on the cover of the book have darker skin than any Israelite I remember meeting or seeing. Throughout the book some people's skin looks lighter though, so maybe I just haven't meet or seen any darker-skinned Israelites before. In my opinion, the illustrations bring Israelite life more alive so children will be able to understand it better.

Both children and adults can learn from this book. I learned that football is popular in Israel, when I thought they were not into any sports. The Maccabiah Games are similar to the Olympics to find the best Israeli athletes. I knew about the shouk (shook) being an open market, although I didn't piece it together that they sold food, clothing, and other assorted products until I read this book, which are very much like a lot of the stores in the United States (without being outside). I also learned why Israelites read and write from right to left.

I wish that more of the holidays Israelis celebrate were explained in the book, although the one that is listed in the book (Purim) is a holiday that I think children get the most excited about.

I am glad they talked about the popular foods of hummus, pitas, and falafel. This will help children in the United States to understand when they eat a pita that a lot of people are probably doing the same thing in Israel, and it introduces them to another food that is often in their stores (hummus), and one that they might have not heard of (falafel).

A wonderful series that I hope will be translated into many different languages so children all around the world will be able to learn a lot from it!

My review= 4.5 out of 5 stars

I received this book free for the purpose of reviewing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment