Saturday, July 23, 2016

Book Review: Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Carol Wallace

Ben Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Carol Wallace is based on the best-selling novel by Lew Wallace, Carol's great-great grandfather. It is a retelling of the story of Ben-Hur, whom is mentioned in the Bible. From what I have gathered, Ben-Hur is only mentioned briefly in the Bible and this story is based on the author's imagination (with help from her great-great grandfather's first version) as to what Ben-Hur's life might have been like during that time. Jesus (Yeshua) is brought into Ben-Hur's life at different points of the story and how he might have been seen through his eyes. Other Biblical characters are also brought into the story to show how they might have been a part of Ben-Hur's life also.

I don't remember reading Lew Wallace's version of this novel (although I might have when I was younger). It sounds like that version is slower and that there is some swearing. This version seemed like a fast-paced novel to me with some battles that went on; sometimes it was hard for me to follow the story because my mind wanders when there is a lot going on. I also didn't notice any swearing (which I liked).

I was surprised that Ben-Hur was called "Judah" Ben-Hur in this novel because it sounds like from 1 Kings 4:8 in the Bible that he might have been an Ephramite, since it sounds like he was from the hill country of Ephraim. Some people from Ephraim might have been from the tribe of Judah also (if him having the name Judah even meant he was from the tribe of Judah), and some people from the hill country of Ephraim might have been given the name Judah, also. In this novel Judah Ben-Hur was from Jerusalem.

I connected well with Judah-Ben Hur living a slave-like life. Even though I am not a slave, I feel like I have been told to do some slave-like things in my life, so that might be why. I also connected with the race scene, where he raced horses with Messala and the other racers, because I have been to horse races before with family and I know it's pretty much all about betting and entertainment (we could've lived without it).

This story helped me to imagine what Ben-Hur's life might have been like with some other Biblical characters. I love how Jesus was brought into the story, and how Ben-Hur might have related to him.

I think this is a story that many people could connect with and it will help open up their imagination to who Ben-Hur was and what his life might have been like.

My review= 4.5 out 5 stars

I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

Trailer for the film version of this book:
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment