Thursday, December 17, 2015

Book Review: A Jewish Baker's Pastry Secrets by George Greenstein

A Jewish Baker's Pastry Secrets is a compilation of recipes from the late George Greenstein; he was a Jewish baker in New York. The book starts out with an introduction from some of the members of the Greenstein family and some ways George influenced his family in the bakery area. There is also a section in the front of the book describing what cooking tools and equipment are usually necessary to bake pastry products. Essential bakery ingredients are also described. There are many delicious-sounding recipes in this book such as breads, pastries, cakes, Danishes, etc. There is even a "Baker's Secret" section in various recipes throughout the book.

The recipes in this book seem very interesting to me. They also seem kind of complex to me, I think only because I am used to dealing with different kinds of equipment and ingredients when I bake. I am sure once I got used to making the recipes in this book that making them probably wouldn't seem like they would be so complex. I like how there is a short section on icings, streusels, and fillings and how it speaks about how these are important to a baker, I also liked that recipes were included specially for these items. I do think there are a lot of recipes that people can make at home in this book but I think that they focus a lot more on larger recipes that are made in bakeries. It was great to see variations listed after recipes to substitute different ingredients, to give the same pastry products a different taste.

There are no pictures of the recipes throughout any place of the book that I noticed, I got to thinking that maybe that was because the recipes were retrieved after George's death and he wasn't there to make the recipes to take pictures of in this book. I am glad that these recipes were retrieved and I hope to try to learn how to make some of them in the near future. I think they will definitely help people that like to cook dessert items to grow to another level of baking!

My review= 5 out of 5 stars


More information about the book:

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/236517/a-jewish-bakers-pastry-secrets-by-george-greenstein-with-elaine-greenstein-julia-greenstein-and-isaac-bleicher/

About the author:

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/authors/105475/george-greenstein/


I received this book free from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment