Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Book Review: The Watercolor Course by Leslie Frontz

Leslie Frontz is a watercolor artist and teacher. She uses the teachings in this book to answer questions that have been asked to her about watercolor painting, so the answers will be useful to other people also. It is a "workshop in a book" as she describes in the introduction. Topics include materials needed, lines, mood, expression, etc. She shows examples of her and other artists' art work to teach others how to paint those kind of watercolor paintings. She shows just how beautiful a piece of artwork can become through watercolor paints, and even methods of drying watercolor artwork once it's done being painted. Tougher questions that newer artists might not think of, such as "How to stretch paper with a tacker gun" and "observing value relationships" are also answered.

I have just started getting into watercolor painting recently so I was excited to come across this book to teach about watercolor techniques. I love how Leslie explains how to clean watercolor brushes because I think different brushes and different paints require different methods of cleaning. I have wondered what colors will look good mixed together and that is explained a little bit in this book. I have also wondered how to determine the best watercolor paper for painting and she breaks it down into paper size, surface, and weight. I love how she includes photos and it is shown and explained how some paintings were drawn from those photos. Showing expression in watercolor paintings is also a topic that caught my interest.

I always thought creating a masterpiece with watercolor paints was hard but Leslie shows that we can make it easier if we use the right materials and learn some watercolor painting techniques!

My review= 5 out of 5 stars

I received this book free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment