Friday, June 19, 2015

Book Review: Unashamed by Jessie Minassian

Unashamed is a book for girls that have secret sins that they are too embarrassed to talk to anybody about. These are sins that they feel addicted to committing but feel dirty and pretty terrible after they do them. They are sins such as cutting, eating too much or too little food, being sexually active before marriage, alcohol and drug abuse, etc. The book encourages girls that there is hope to stop committing these sins even if they have committed them over and over a countless number of times. There are discussion questions at the end of each chapter that can be answered individually or in groups.

As I was reading this book, each chapter built upon the next it seemed, helping girls to find a spiritual path out of their habitual sins. I like that there are Scripture references throughout the book, which shows that God will show people the way out if they want him to lead them to it. I didn't sense anything that might make people fee condemned that might read this book, which I think is a sign of healthy teaching. I like that Jessie encourages people who are not struggling with the sin issues in this book to try to be people that can reach out to others that are struggling with them. I am also happy that Jessie explained that when people get free from certain sins they can turn their lives in the direction of helping others struggling with the same secret sins that they went through. My favorite quote in the book is: "People who suffer the most get to give the most." (Page 159)

My rating= 5 out of 5 stars

I received this book free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment