Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Book Review: Joey and the Giant Box by Deborah Lakritz, Illustrated by Mike Byrne

*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.*****

Joey's family receives a new dishwasher. After they unload it and place it where it needs to go they have a big box left that Joey is fascinated with. His mom wants to put the box outside so the recycling truck can pick it up. Joey wants to keep it and talks his mom into allowing him to keep it in his room.  Joey's fun with the box inside of his room comes to and end though. It is too big for his room but he talks his parents into letting him use the box to collect food for people that do not have enough to eat. A plan unravels to use the big box at school so he and his classmates can try to collect enough food to fill it and give to people that need it.

This book really touched my heart! It is now #1 on my list of children's books that I have enjoyed reviewing. I wasn't keeping a list but I know for sure this book is now on the very top of the list. I think this story will plant seeds in children's lives about helping people that do not have enough to eat to the point where some, many, or maybe all of the children will be affected enough to take action at some point in their lives to help them. I think it would be a great book to read more than once to children so they do not forget how important it is to help people that do not have enough or any food to eat.

My review= 5 out of 5 stars

Page Count: 32
Details: Full color illustrations
Age Level: 4-8
Grade Level: PreK-2

 
I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment