Thursday, May 28, 2015

Book Review: I Say Shehechiyanu by Joanne Rocklin, Illustrated by Monika Filipina

I Say Shehechiyanu (Hardcover)
*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.*****

In I Say Shehechiyanu children will learn about the Shehechiyanu Jewish blessing called "A Blessing for Beginnings". It is something to be thankful for that takes place for the first time or happens again when it hasn't happened in awhile. The blessing is written out in both Hebrew and English. In this book many reasons are shown to express Shehechiyanu during the seasons of the year. From holidays, eating, family, school, weather, etc.

I am glad that this book teaches about expressing Shehechiyanu. I do not remember hearing any Shehechiyanu blessings over the years so this book has been very educational for me as an adult, although Shehechiyanu prayers might have been prayed at some points in some congregations I have attended and I didn't realize what they meant. I like how the reasons to express Shehechiyanu were split up between the four seasons in this book; I believe that will help children learn the seasons during the year also. I believe this book will help children express Shehechiyanu when they receive new and reoccurring blessings in their lives that haven't happened in awhile.

Page Count: 24
Details: Full color illustrations
Age Level: 4-8
Grade Level: PreK-2

My review = 5 out of 5 stars

I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment