Sunday, February 22, 2015

Book Review: When I Grow Up I Want To Be...a Nurse! by Wigu Publishing

*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.***** 

When I Grow Up I Want To Be…a Nurse! is another installment in the When I Grow Up series by Wigu Publishing. Amber is encouraged to join a soccer team. She is hesitant at first and doesn’t think she will like soccer but decides to join the team. During practice she likes it and starts looking forward to playing it. During a game something happens to her and a girl on the other team and they both see the nurse. Amber is told to go to the emergency room. Amber doesn't like hospitals and doesn't want to be there. When she gets there and is taken care of by a male nurse she discovers from him that he was once scared of hospitals…and even the sight of blood. He explains to her that often other medical professionals were afraid of things associated with hospitals in the past, and overcame their fears to help people. After Amber is healed and goes back to the hospital to be released from her injury, she discovers that being a nurse and helping people might not be so bad a profession for her in the future after all!

In my opinion, this book does a great job of educating children about the nursing profession. As the story continues, there are facts included about nurses and hospitals. I liked the story included a male nurse and a female doctor, to show children that it doesn’t matter what gender a person is for them to become a nurse or a doctor. The pictures in the book describing the story part were cartoon-like pictures of the characters on the backdrop of real life photos, which I thought was interesting. I liked the International Pledge for Nurses in this book, also, which explains that race, social status, creed, color, and politics cannot matter for nurses when treating patients.

My rating = 5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: The publisher has provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment