Friday, December 26, 2014

Book Review: When I Grow Up I Want To Be...A Veterinarian! by Wigu Publishing

*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.*****

As Sofia is watching the rain come down she sees a cat. Even though the cat is wet she sees something special in her. No matter what though, her mom always says “no” when she talks about wanting a pet. Sofia watches and waits for the cat to come back. It’s looking like the cat won’t be back until she finally shows up again. Sofia does something kind of naughty in her mother’s eyes…she feeds her. Her mom is worried that the cat will keep coming back and guess what? She does. Her mom decides to turn this situation into a learning experience for Sofia, by telling her what she would need to do to take care of a cat, and plans to let her take care of her. The cat is looking sick so they decide to take her to the veterinarian and receive a big learning experience from her.

I liked that this book teaches children about veterinarians, such as what they do, and what kind of education they often go through to become veterinarians.  I really liked how at different points the story kind of stopped and something was explained from the story, such as it explained about different kinds of veterinarians, some different types of animals, and what some of the purposes of animals are. If I were reading this book to a child, I would probably leave out the part about cats being worshipped as gods to early Egyptians that is taught in this book. There were two sections that seemed kind of interesting to me in the back of the book about “What will help make me a great veterinarian?” and “Be a Responsible Pet Owner”.

In my opinion, a great educational experience for children about veterinarians and animals!

My rating = 4.5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: The publisher has provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment