Saturday, December 13, 2014

Book Review: Evening Prayers for Every Day of the Year by Christoph Friedrich Blumhardt

Evening Prayers for Every Day of the Year is book of prayers that is intended to be used in the evening, although the prayers are good for reading any time of the day. They are written by Christoph Friedrich Blumhardt in the 1800's or early 1900's, since he died in 1919. Each day includes a Scripture verse and a prayer. The Scripture verses will sometimes set the mood for the prayers. Some prayers are longer and some are shorter than others. The prayers are read as if other people are praying them together, including words such as "we" and "us". They also focus on other people that may need prayer in specific areas.

I enjoyed pulling this book out mostly during the evening and reading through a month's worth of prayers usually. It is hard for me to come up with the words to prayers sometimes and I like relying on pre-written prayers. Some of the prayers in this book I recited with "I" and "me" by inserting those words to replace "we" and "us". The other prayers I left as they were, using "we" and "us". It was interesting to read someone's work that influenced people over a century ago, and I believe the prayers in this book are also an encouragement for people as they read and pray them today.

My rating = 5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary reviewer’s copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment