Friday, October 10, 2014

Book Review: Your Foundation in Christ by Neil T. Anderson

Your Foundation in Christ is part of the Victory Series of Bible studies, written by Neil T. Anderson. It touches on areas to help build a foundation in Messiah to deepen faith and relationship with God and others. It is designed as a six week study, with five topics per week to focus on in recommended groups of 10-20 people per group. Each chapter lists a topic, a main section of Scripture to focus on, a key point, and a key verse in Scripture. Commentary about the topics is then given; questions are asked at the end of each commentary to help reflect on the main point(s) of the topics. A quote is also given at the end of each chapter for reflection on what was learned with the topics. A Leader’s Tip section at the back of the book gives guidelines for group leaders.

I used this as an individual study for Bible reflection. I could’ve probably gone deeper into the study with a small group, so I hope most people will use it for that. I wondered about why this study about Your Foundation in Christ would be the third book in the Victory Series of Bible studies but after looking at what studies one and two are about I came to understood better why it is the third study. The studies in the series before this study teach about topics such as G-d and his creation, and a transforming union with G-d, which I think is probably important to know about before the foundation of Jesus (Yeshua) is laid in followers and/or disciples lives.

I struggled a little about what was explained about the law on pages 129-130 because I believe G-d writes the law on people’s hearts when he wants to, and those people follow the law he puts on their hearts out of love for G-d, not because they are trying to earn his love by following the law. I think the author was implying that this is what also happens when he explained that G-d’s commandments are protective and not restrictive on page 134.

I haven’t read the other Bible studies in this series but they sound like all (or some) of them put together might help develop some strong (or stronger) disciples in the body of Messiah.

My review = 4.5 out of 5 stars


Disclosure of material connection: I received a free copy of this book from Bethany House in exchange for an honest review. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment