Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Book Review: Candy Aisle Crafts by Jodi Levine, Photography by Amy Gropp Forbes

*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.*****

In Candy Aisle Crafts, Jodi Levine shows how common candy items found in supermarkets can be used for fun arts and crafts projects. For the candy craft projects included, she lists supplies needed, directions, and pictures of how to cut the candy into different shapes before the crafts are made, and of the finished projects. Each section explains a different kind of candy item, which are “hard candy”, “gummy candy”, “marshmallows”, and “cookies & cereal”. There are some crafts that were geared around American holidays also. The “sources” section gives resources of where to find some specialty supplies listed in this book that may not be available (or commonly available) in supermarkets.

It was interesting to learn that some candy can be easily melted and used in different ways. The candy craft I loved learning the most about was the “cookie castle cake”, which looks like one of the more complex crafts in the book. I kept thinking that I would want to use organic candy and kosher marshmallows as much as possible; if I ever helped any children make any candy crafts from this book, just because I think they are healthier.

I think the pictures of how to cut the candies and other items will be very useful for people that make the candy craft projects in this book.

My rating = 5 out of 5 stars


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Blogging for Books program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment