Friday, September 19, 2014

Bible Review: NIV First-Century Study Bible

The NIV First-Century Study Bible is a specialty Bible that contains study material within NIV text to help understand what it may have been like in the first century. Each Biblical book contains a comprehensive introduction that gives background information about each book, as well as an outline(s). “Day in the Life” and “Textual Articles” are also included to help people understand what it was like during Bible times. Notes are included at the bottom of the Bible text for help in understanding it. “Word Studies” define words found in the Bible books and include the word in different languages (usually one language at a time) as well. There are study aides in the back of the Bible as well, such as a glossary, concordance, and maps.

I read through the books of Job and Philippians while reading and reviewing the hard cover format of this Bible. I am learning how to read and write Hebrew so I loved coming across the “Word Studies” because some of them contained the words in Hebrew, and I practiced reading and saying some of those words in Hebrew. One drawback is that it was hard for me to tell what some of the other languages were that were used in the “Word Studies”, but I loved noticing the Hebrew! I liked that the notes at the bottom of the Scriptures often did not take up very much of the pages and I think they were always on the same pages as the Scriptures they were referring to (in the portions of Scripture I read). There were also a lot of pictures used within this specialty Bible, which helped to try to bring my mind to understand what is was like in Bible times.

This Bible is one that I hope to use often because of the first century supplemental material alongside of the Bible text. I hope others find it useful also.

My review = 4.5 out of 5 stars


Disclosure of material connection: I received a free copy of this Bible from BookLook Bloggers. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment