Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Bible Review: New International Version Spiritual Renewal Study Bible

Note: This review is based on the Kindle eBook version of this specialty Bible.

The New International Version Spiritual Renewal Study Bible contains notes from Stephen Arterburn and David Stoop. This specialty Bible is supposed to help people experience new growth and transformation in their spiritual walks. After the NIV introductory pages, the contents of this Bible are listed and then the books of the Bible are listed so they can be clicked on in this eBook (which is the version I received for review) when readers are ready to access them.

There is then a section on “How to use this Bible”, which explains how to use the eBook version; it gives two methods to use. It also walks through how to navigate the use of the supplementary materials, which are Spiritual Keys Devotionals, profiles of people in the Bible, Spiritual Disciplines Devotionals and Profiles, articles, study notes (commentary), footnotes, appendices, and the complete Old and New Testament text itself.

The back of this specialty Bible includes study notes which include a Table of Weights and Measures, an Index to Text Notes, Spiritual Keys Devotionals, Character Profiles, and Spiritual Disciplines Devotionals and Profiles.

I read the books of Zephaniah and James while reviewing this eBook version of this Bible. With each of those Bible books (and I think all of the books of this Bible) there is an introduction which lists “The Big Picture”, “Spiritual Renewal Themes”, “Essential Facts”, which include  the “Purpose”, “Author”, “Audience”, “Date Written”, “Setting”, “Key Verse”, “Key People and Relationships”, (and sometimes “Key Place”), and “Outline” listed.  It then goes into the Bible text and there are links you can click on which take you to the supplementary materials related to the Bible text. At the end of the Bible chapters there is a summary of those Scriptures.

The supplemental material that I found the most interesting to use in this Bible was the Spiritual Keys Devotionals, which explore keys to experience spiritual renewal and transformation. As I clicked on each devotional, there was Bible text included that I clicked on also which provided a link back to the devotional I had just came from, so I never lost my place. Those devotionals took me in order to the next devotional, until the next Spiritual Key was reached. I also loved that Jesus’ (Yeshua’s) words were printed in red and that there was an alphabetical Bible book list.

I  hope to go much deeper into the contents of this specialty Bible. There are many supplementary materials in it which I think will be useful to a lot of people with their spiritual walk.

My review = 5 out of 5 stars


Disclosure of material connection: I received a free copy of this Bible from BookLook Bloggers. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment