Friday, July 11, 2014

Ebook Review: To Cross The Ocean by Zehavit Tal-On

Disclosure: I received this product as part of an advertorial.

Nettie goes away on a trip to Poland that her two closest friends are supposed to go on with her. Both of them can’t make it so she needs to go by herself. When she is in Poland something terrible happens and a man named Eric helps her. When Eric finds out that Nettie is Jewish something bad happens in Nettie’s eyes but she must continue to go on with her life. Should something that happened many years ago to the Jewish people cause difficulty to her relationship with him now, or is that something they both will overcome?

I really enjoyed reading this novel about Nettie, who is an Israelite. I liked hearing what was going on her mind before, during, and after her trip to Poland. On one hand this story showed me that it’s a good idea not to travel to another country alone, and on the other hand it showed me better that sometimes people are willing to step in to help during traumatic situations.

One thing that got my attention in the novel was that there was a lot of grammar/spelling errors, or typos. I decided to be more lenient with my point system because my guess is that this book could’ve been translated from Hebrew or another language into English, so I’m only deducting half a point for that. Another thing that got my attention was that there was some bad language used at different points. That seemed to occur randomly.

This was the first Israelite novel I remember reading and I really liked the themes of the story. I enjoyed seeing kind of what it’s like for Israelites to travel outside of their own country. I also learned more about how what happened to the Israelites causes strain in their relationships sometimes.

My review =  4 out of 5 stars 

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment