Monday, July 21, 2014

Book Review: New Month, New Moon by Allison Ofanansky, Photographs by Eliyahu Alpern

*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.*****

A family goes on a camping trip to celebrate Rosh Chodesh, which is the beginning of a new month on the Hebrew calendar. They are guided by someone who educates them about the moon; he sets up a telescope so they can see the moon up close. When one of the family members notices something interesting about the way the moon looks up close, he sets up a demonstration to show why the moon looks different at different times of the month. There is also some cooking at the end of the night to add more fun to their adventure, especially with what the kids make!

I was happy to read this story of a family going on an educational trip to celebrate Rosh Chodesh! The family coming together to learn about the moon during Rosh Chodesh is something I wish more families could/would do.  Kids will learn information about the moon that they have not learned before. It was interesting to me to see one of the members of the family make paint from dirt and water. I also loved that there is an arts and craft project in the back of the book to make a paper mache moon, like the one used in the demonstration in the book.
I feel confident that this book will educate many people about Rosh Chodesh, kids and adults alike!

Recommended for ages 3-8, grades PreK-2

My review = 5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a free copy of this book from Kar-Ben Publishing. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. 

New Month, New Moon is Available August 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment