Sunday, July 27, 2014

Book Review: Bubbe's Belated Bat Mitzvah by Isabel Pinson, Illustrated by Valeria Cis

*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.*****

This is a sweet story of a 95-year-old woman named Bubbe going through a Bat Mitzvah after being convinced by her great-granddaughter Naomi and spending time studying and preparing for it. Throughout the generations girls were included more and more with Torah reading in Bubbe’s family. When Bubbe was growing up girls didn’t study Hebrew and weren’t called to read Torah, when Naomi’s grandmother was growing up girls didn’t read from the Torah but could give speeches in the synagogue, when Naomi’s mother was growing up girls were allowed to read from the Torah.

This story makes me wish there were more opportunities for others to be bat or bar mitzvahed past their childhood years; I am sure there are more opportunities available for that then I might realize though. I hear people use the word “bimah” in my congregation a lot, when they are referring to going up to read Torah at the stand at the front of the synagogue; now I can see from reading this book that comes from the Jewish congregational way of life. I loved how the illustrations bring readers back in time throughout the generations of Bubbe’s family with memories relating to the girls being involved in their congregations.

Created for ages: 3-9, grade: PK-3

My review = 5 out of 5 stars


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a free copy of this book from Kar-Ben Publishing. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. 

Bubbe's Belted Bat Mitzvah is available August 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment