Monday, June 2, 2014

Book Review: Samantha Sanderson on the Scene by Robin Caroll

*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.*****

Samantha Sanderson has another interesting case to write about, this time in the area of bullying. Her middle school classmate Nikki is the victim and doesn’t understand why someone would want to be so mean to hear. Samantha’s dad helps her with the story; after all she was assigned to write about it on her school’s blog, although she is pretty adamant about not revealing any of her sources, not even to him. Samantha also needs to deal with something difficult that her mom throws out on the table, and goes through different emotions. She brings it to God in prayer and he takes control of the situation.

The books about Samantha Sanderson continue to help me remember a little bit about what it was like for me in middle school and what my nieces might face/have faced with their time in middle school as well.

I was reminded as the result of reading this book of the topic of “bullying”; that children and youth are not the only people who get bullied, but adults as well. As an adult, I was interested until the very end of this story and the ending brought a smile to my face, which I hope happens with many other children/youth/adults who read this story as well. I finished the story wondering just how many other types of situations that today’s middle schoolers may face in their day-to-day lives, at school and during other times while they are in middle school. I don’t believe readers will get lost if they didn’t read the first book in this series; it’s a whole new story and the characters are explained again.

There is also a reading guide in the back of the book that I recommend be read after the book is read because it gives away some of what happens in the book.

My rating =  5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: BookLook Bloggers provided this book to me for free in exchange for an honest review. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment