Thursday, June 19, 2014

Bible Review: NIV Life Journey Bible

The NIV Life Journey Bible is a specialty Bible with contributions from Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr John Townsend, coauthors of the book Boundaries: When to Say Yes, When to Say No. There are Bible book introductions, essays, Biblical character profiles, and insights (tips for relational and emotional health) written by them throughout the Bible. Usually at least one of these writings is on every other full page layout, and occasionally there are back-to-back writing sections. There is also a handy study helps section in the back of the Bible with reading plans, and a subject and where to find it index.

I read through the Bible books of Romans and 1 and 2 Corinthians while reading and reviewing this specialty Bible. I liked that the Bible book contents (index) page was in the front of the Bible, before any of the “How to Use This Bible” and “Contributors to the NIV Life Journey Bible” sections. I had a little bit of a hard time with the outlook of some of the Old Testament laws at times in the writing sections, but I also know it’s a process for God to write different parts of the law on people’s hearts. Overall, the insights were beneficial to me, especially when I read them before digging into the Bible sections they were about.

It’s nice to now have this hardcover Bible to read because I really like the Boundaries book that the authors wrote and occasionally there are tidbits about boundaries in it.

My review = 4.5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this Bible free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment