Thursday, May 15, 2014

Bible Review: New Spirit-Filled Life Bible

The New Spirit-Filled Life Bible is a NIV version specialty Bible that uses different learning resources throughout its pages.

At the beginning of each Biblical book, there is a listing of the book’s author, date (or estimated date), theme, key words, an outline, and introductory/background information.  There are about 25% of notes at the bottom of each page containing Scripture that go into further detail about what the Scripture passages mean. There are also other notes along the pages containing Scripture, including “Kingdom Dynamics” (points out important principles related to Kingdom living) and “Word Wealth” (defines words and shows Hebrew and Greek spellings) sections, and a listing in the middle of the pages of other Bible verses (related to the particular Scriptures listed on those pages I believe). Occasionally a map or chart is also included.

At the end of each Biblical book, there is a “Truth in Action” section which lists truths in one section and actions in another section, helping readers to put truths that they read into action.

At the back of the Bible, there is a concordance section, blank notes pages, and color maps, in addition to what I think is an extra special bonus for this specialty Bible: articles about the topics of restoration, Messianic Judaism, word evangelism, and healing among the nations.

Overall, I really like this hardcover specialty Bible. I read through part of the book of Isaiah and through the whole books of Philippians and Colossians while reading and reviewing it. Although I often think Bibles containing a lot of commentary should be categorized as a “Bible and Commentary Combo”, the commentary notes really opened up the Scriptures more for me. It was through the commentary that I learned important tidbits, such as this: “Early Christians worshiped in private homes (see Ac 16:15,40; Phm 2). Church buildings as we know them emerged in the third century…” (from the Acts 4:15 commentary on page 1581).


The Bible book index was a little farther back then I am used to, it was found after the introduction pages and "Word Wealth", "Truth-In-Action", "Charts", and "In-Text Maps" indexes. It was listed right before the Scriptures started, so in that way I think it might be okay for readers who like the Bible book index to be located there. Also, one thing that was hard for me to discern in the “Word Wealth” section is when Hebrew words or Greek words were being used as the English words were being defined. I am familiar with some Hebrew words so I tried to use my best discernment, although it might’ve been beneficial to use some kind of different lettering fonts or colors for both the Hebrew and Greek words in that section so readers can tell which ones are being used.

The “Truth in Action” section was a great review for me after I read the Biblical books of Philippians and Colossians because I like resources that show me how I can put what truths I read into action.

I recommend this specialty Bible to people who are looking for a Bible that pulls many learning resources together to enrich their Bible reading experiences.

My review = 4 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment