Saturday, April 19, 2014

Study Bible Review: The Chronological Study Bible

The Chronological Study Bible brings Bible readers through the NIV translation Scriptures in the order that the events were narrated in the Biblical books or passages. The Bible is broken up into epochs. An “epoch” is a time period that is characterized by distinctive events or features. Each of the nine epochs has a different index color at the top of each page, making it easy to find them. At the beginning of each epoch section, there is background information listed in relation to the time period that takes place. There are many other additions to the real Biblical text, which include transition commentaries, historical overviews, background notes, time panels and capsules, color pictures and maps, an Index of Scripture Passages, etc.

One of my first thoughts as I started reading was that I was glad that this Bible is called a “Study Bible”. The reason I was glad about this is because when commentary, notes, and even drawings are added I believe that maybe the book is not purely a Bible anymore. Although it’s often good (or great) to have human input with those resources, they might not always be purely divine. So, I (as well as anyone) take chances on what I allow into my mind and I trusted that what I read in this study Bible, in addition to the Biblical text was good for my mind to receive, and maybe even divine. I was also glad that I received the hardcover version because hardcover Bibles usually stay open at whatever pages you want to pause at.

Upon first glance I didn’t immediately notice how the order was different than the order that I am used to with the non-chronological Bibles I commonly read. When I read part of Epoch eight (when Messiah came) it became clearly noticeable to me though because it weaves in and out of the gospels in the order that they were narrated. Then in Epoch nine (about the church/congregation age) I noticed that it went between different verses in Acts, Galatians, James, etc. I noticed very soon after I started reading that this study Bible goes very deeply into history through the commentaries and notes listed at different points throughout the pages. As I was reading through the Epochs, I wondered how someone would find a random Bible verse in this study Bible if it isn’t set up like most non-chronological Bibles are. I came across the Index of Scripture Passages located at the back of this study Bible about a day or two later. Although I didn’t notice it was set up this way at first, I was happy to find the Scriptures listed in the index in the order as they appear in the non-chronological Bible.

Although I probably won’t use this as my main Bible because some of the theological information is over my head right now, I am looking forward to pulling it out at other times to read some of the historical notes listed as I move forward in my Biblical and spiritual development. I recommend it for people who have a good grasp on Bible theology and for people who want to grow in Bible theology. 

My review = 5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment