Sunday, April 27, 2014

Performing Arts Event: Letters to Sala

I recently was involved with the performing arts event Letters to Sala. The play is based on the book Sala's Gift by Ann Kirschner.

It was an interesting play that went back and forth between present and past. It is about a woman named Sala Garncarz who kept her wartime experiences a secret of being sent to a German forced labor camp. She collected over 300 letters and photos in which she gave to her daughter Ann. Ann has a purpose in mind for the letters, and she tries to talk her family into allowing the letters to be used for that purpose.

Some of the performers in the play had more than one part, making me wonder how they switched back and forth into their different costumes so easily without looking disheveled. In my opinion, they did a great job with everything in this play and I hope it is performed in more places. Another Holocaust memory that I am on one hand saddened to hear about, and on the other hand I am glad to hear about another survival story.

No comments:

Post a Comment