Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Book Review: Telling Yourself the Truth by William Backus and Marie Chapian



I am lonely.” “I am unlikable.”  “I am not smart.” “I do not have any talents.”…these are all lies we tell ourselves. In Telling Yourself the Truth, William Backus and Marie Chapian teach readers how to replace those lies, plus many others with Biblical truths. They define misbelief and cover many topics in the areas of misbelief, such as depression, anxiety, lack of self-control, never taking a chance, etc. They show how we might be manipulating others to get what we want, or how others might be manipulating us. There is also a helpful study guide in the back of the book, relating to each chapter.


Reading this book brought back some good memories for me of reading this book in the past. About 10 years ago I think I took a class based on this book. I was excited for the chance to review this newer edition, to refresh what I learned when reading the book the first time and taking the class. I thought that the study guide was going to be new (and that there wasn’t one in the first book I read) but when comparing it to my older, more worn-out edition it looked as if the study guide was the same, as well as everything else in the book. Usually I have trouble following a book with two authors if it doesn't show me when each author is speaking; I didn't have a problem with that with this book for some reason. 


The Scripture verse that seemed to be the foundation verse for me in relating to this book was Matthew 9:29 "Then he touched their eyes and said, According to your faith let it be done to you" (NIV version).


The book helped highlight some thoughts I have been currently telling myself and showed me ways I can turn around the words to be more truthful. It showed me that what I tell myself I will start to believe; if I change my thinking, my beliefs will change. It also taught me (or helped me remember from reading this book before) that married and single people often envy each other. The married group has a family to spend time with but also often has a booked schedule, while single people have a lot more time on their hands. And, I liked the reminder that it is okay to be angry; it’s what is done with our anger that is the most important because we should not let our anger cause us to sin, and that we can make ourselves angry by our self talk. I do currently find myself changing my thoughts more often, to line up with Biblical truths better, and who I am in Jesus (Yeshua).

This book is a classic in my book collection. It truly touched me and changed my life from reading it about 10 years ago, and it still touches me greatly today! I hope the refresher of reading this newer version will help heal any faulty thinking I picked up since I read it the first time.

My rating = 5 out of 5 stars


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Bethany House Publishers for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment