Monday, April 28, 2014

Book Review: Purposeful Design: Understanding the Creation by Jay Schabacker

*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.*****

Purposeful Design: Understanding the Creation is a coffee table/children’s book that uncovers the story of creation in the Biblical book of Genesis through Bible verses and pictures. It breaks down each of the verses regarding creation in a way that readers will better understand the uniqueness of God’s creation, showing that God is the Purposeful Designer of our world. Readers will learn about how much of the world is covered in water, why a whole body of water doesn’t freeze when the top of it does, how long it takes for a new moon to occur, seasons, tidal waves, the reason why certain animals were made, and humans being made in the image of God.

I found the information throughout the book to be interesting and I pictured children getting excited about the pictures they see throughout the book, pictures of God’s creation that they will most likely be curious to learn more about. From an adult perspective, the description of the moon cycle is what interested me the most, as well as the tidal wave schedule; I had never thought that tidal waves had a schedule that happened at different points in the day.

I wish I had this book in my hands when I was going over the days of creation with a group of children in the recent past. It would’ve fit very nicely into the lesson plans for those days.

This would be a great addition for school libraries and classrooms! This book is not one that can be quickly read to a child or a group of children, and absorbed at the same time. It is definitely the kind of book that a child would want to glean on, taking in the useful information throughout the pages.

My review= 5 out of 5 stars

 I received a free copy of this book from BookCrash for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment