Monday, April 7, 2014

Book Review: All the Way Home by Bruce Snavely

All the Way Home is the story of how Bruce Snavely was orphaned at a young age. His early years took place in the home of a doctor where he didn’t seem to suffer from anything financially. A day arrived where he wasn’t only missing one parent but two parents in his life, and he didn’t have a place he could call “home” anymore. As any child who has lost their parents might be like, he sometimes acted out in ways that were undesirable. During his younger years he gave his life to Jesus and his life turned around in time. He was set on a path to finding the way home; a place where he would have a family again.

This story showed me a glimpse of how deep God’s love is for orphans and for people that are going through hardships with not any or many people around to help them. Bruce’s life was spared during some difficult circumstances that he went through.  He gives many examples of how God’s hand was upon his life. I really liked how there were some people in Bruce’s life who didn’t judge him.

One minor thing to me that I noticed is that I ran into words that I think were sometimes left out in the story, such as words like “to” and “of”, such in the case on page 111: “He was tired of looking at it and didn’t want to go __ the expense of fixing it, so he just signed the title over to me”. These are easy words to leave out on accident, and I do it often myself. In a lot of cases the typos were barely noticeable and definitely didn’t take anything away from reading the story for me at all.

I especially liked the title of this book “All the Way Home”. It is a great example to me and hopefully to others that even though we may lose track of what we think is home, that home might actually be in another place and we just haven’t found it yet, or that certain situations will continue to draw us back to our real home, even if it doesn’t feel like home at first.

I believe this is a story of hope for current orphans and past orphans, for people who want to adopt orphans, and really for anybody who is going through a life that seems hopeless.

My review= 4.5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a free copy of this book from Bruce Snavely / Bostick Communications. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.
 



More about the book: 
All the Way Home by Dr. Bruce Snavely 
ISBN: 978-0615974811 
Publisher: CreateSpace 
Date of publish: February 18, 2014 
Pages: 194 
S.R.P.: $15.95
About the author: 
Bruce Snavely (58) is a minister, author, and professor. Bruce Snavely is the founder and president of Global Baptist Training Foundation. After spending 20 years in ministry and 15 years in Christian higher education, Bruce's passion involves training national church leaders globally. He holds a Ph.D. in historical theology from Trinity College at the University of Bristol, UK. His earlier book, ‘The Second Reformation: Baptists in Colonial America,’ (May 2013 – Liberty University Press), is a historical review of how the first European Reformation reached its final conclusions in Colonial America in the post-Great Awakening period. Bruce lives in Viera, Florida.


No comments:

Post a Comment