Saturday, March 15, 2014

Book Review: Sun Stand Still Devotional by Steven Furtick

Sun Stand Still Devotional: A 40-Day Experience to Activate Your Faith contains 40 devotion readings from the book Sun Stand Still by Steven Furtick. It is implied that readers will possibly read through the devotions in 40 days (one devotion per day). Each devotion highlights a portion of Scripture, gives a section of Scripture to study, and then those Scriptures are explained in more detail through the devotion reading. At the end of each devotion reading, there is a prayer to focus on. Each devotion draws readers to a deeper audacious faith in what God is doing or will do in their lives. Steven sometimes uses examples from his own life to make a point.

At first I thought the name Sun Stand Still was made up but I soon noticed when coming across the introduction and the first devotional that it has a Scriptural meaning from Joshua 10:12-14, where Joshua said a very amazing prayer in the Bible when he prayed to the LORD for the Sun to stand still over Gibeon, and the moon over the valley of Aijalon. Joshua’s prayer was answered, probably because he had audacious faith when he prayed it.

It appeared like the Holy Spirit highlighted certain parts of Scripture I came across while reading through the sections of Scripture it pointed out for me to read at the beginning of the devotions. I have a book I write in about my friendship with Yeshua (Jesus) and I filled almost two pages of highlights that I think might have deepened my friendship with him.

Amazingly, about one or two hours after I finished this book, a friend left me a voice mail and I called her back. She had something in mind to ask me but she also asked me if I found another job yet (I have a job and appreciate it right now but I hope to find something that is more in line with my college education in the near future). I told her I hadn’t found one but I came close. She told me to have faith. My mouth kind of dropped when I heard that because of being so encouraged about having deeper faith by the time I finished this book. I think God sent her into my life to speak those words to me.

I recommend this devotional book to anybody that wants to learn how to develop a deeper faith life with God and his Son.

My rating= 5 out of 5 stars

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Waterbrook Multomah for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment