Monday, March 10, 2014

Book Blog Tour: In the Shadow of Jezebel by Mesu Andrews

Jehosheba (Sheba) has been trained as a Baal priestess. She started training when she was five and served Prince Baal during thirteen Awakening Festivals. Marrying the high priest Jehoida will be a new kind of life for her. “The Yahwists are an unbearably stifling lot-their worship allows no dancing, no role playing, and no sacred coupling…” (Page 64). Since the patriarch Jacob had been fooled by Leah under her heavy veil, it became every Hebrew groom’s right to visit the bride chamber and take a peek under the bride’s veil before the wedding ceremony. Jehoiada hoped to speak to Sheba alone before their wedding, to determine if she came to the chuppah on her own free will or under compulsion.

Mesu Andrews has a way of taking readers very deeply into Scripture and Jewish life. Her research into the ancient Scriptures appears to me to be very deep, inspiring me to learn more about the Old Testament and the Jewish way of life.  I have to admit that I got lost in the book often, not because it wasn’t interesting but because I am not used to the many names in the Old Testament and I am not familiar with some of the Jewish practices yet outside of what I learned within my Biblical education. I have a deep interest in learning more about the Jewish way of life. I hope to get this book out again to read it at a later time when I am more familiar with the Biblical characters in this book.

I really loved coming across on page 189 that God’s servants don’t use tricks to attract worshippers. That made me believe that a worshipper of God/follower of Yeshua (Jesus) should be just as happy worshipping/meeting at a building with no or unkempt landscaping as a building where the landscaping is often updated, and might also even be happy meeting at a place where no food, snacks, or beverages are served. I also loved hearing about the relationship of Keilah (a widow) and Sheba. It opened my mind up more to what it could’ve been like for widows during that time period.

I believe this is for people who really want to go deep into the Old Testament Scriptures through a fictionalized novel that helps them open up their minds to some of the truths revealed in Old Testament Scriptures and also helps them imagine what else might have happened.

My review = 4 out of 5 stars

Available March 2014 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Revell for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment