Thursday, February 13, 2014

DVD Review: Restless by Jennie Allen


Restless DVD is an 8-session group Bible study that Jennie Allen leads on video.  It focuses a lot on helping the participants and viewers of the DVD to discover what their purposes and passions are while helping them to dig deeper into their lives. Sessions include: Restless, God’s Story, Gifts, Suffering, Place, People, Passions, and Mystery. Jennie gives an example in her life of when she was restless and she didn’t know exactly why. She uses many examples about the life of Joseph in Scripture and how we can compare what we are going through or will go through in life with what he experienced; she uses other Scriptures outside of Joseph’s story also. Many past examples in her life are also given to get the points of the 8 sessions across.

I like Jennie’s teaching style and how she brings Scripture into the lives of the women she teaches. She seems to have a way of applying ancient Scriptures to modern life that makes people smile, laugh, and feel more encouraged, based on the way the women she was teaching spoke and looked in the video, and how I felt. I immediately was drawn into the teaching about running my own race that God has set out for me and that I need to find help when I find myself stuck on the sidelines during my race. It also got me to thinking about the physical places I go to, such as whether I need to make any changes or not, or if I think my role is just not important enough and should stay at those places.

One thing that bothered me in the video was the discouragement of being a rule-keeper in session 2, like when some people in the Bible tried to keep the rules. It made me think that this part of the teaching discourages people to put Moses’ law (or anybody else God used to show us his law) into practice in their lives if God writes that on their hearts. She might have been thinking of one specific case of someone trying to follow the rules in the Bible and wasn't able to. I know of both Jewish and non-Jewish people who have accepted Messiah that love for God to write Torah from his law on their hearts and who try to put the laws into practice, and often do.

I love hearing about Joseph’s story in the Bible and I am glad that some of the verses of his story were highlighted. Potential customers of this DVD product need to know that only portions of Joseph’s story are highlighted though; the whole story is not explained in detail, which is probably good for people that don’t want to dig real deep into his story but just might want to know some of the highlights.

I reviewed Restless DVD without its book companion in this review because I was sent the DVD only. Upon browsing through the Restless book on Amazon.com I noticed that Jennie talks about a lot of the same things in the book and the DVD. So, this DVD might be a supplement to the book and/or the book might be a supplement to the DVD.


My review = 4 out 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment