Monday, February 10, 2014

Book Blog Tour: Rachel by Jill Eileen Smith

Rachel by Jill Eileen Smith opens up the Rachel, Leah, and Jacob story in a way that gives readers a better understanding of the Biblical account of their lives. It also helps people picture the possibilities of what could have happened in addition to what the Bible explains to us about Rachel and Leah’s relationship with Jacob.

Jacob and Rachel want to get married but Jacob is tricked into marrying Leah instead because her father veiled her. It is hard for both women to share Jacob and he is a man that doesn’t really seem to want more than one wife. In his eyes his first child will be the first child born from Rachel, even if he continues to have many children with Leah. Rachel continues to be barren though and it doesn’t seem fair for that to be happening to her.

Jacob seemed to want a monogamous relationship with Rachel but received forced polygamy instead. Rachel watched as her sister Leah had one child after the other with Jacob, while she remained barren. The breakthrough to Rachel’s barrenness problem came in what I saw as an unexpected way, and is a great example of something good coming out of being kind to people who are not kind to us. 
 
I love to read Jill Eileen Smith’s books because they open my mind to the Biblical stories of women of the Bible in ways that it hasn’t been opened before. Even though I have read through the Biblical story of Rachel, Leah, and Jacob probably many times I don’t think I have ever thought so much about the story until thinking deeper about it while reading this book. I kept in mind that the story around the main Biblical facts are fiction and I often thought something like “Yes, it could very well have happened like this or in another way close to this.” I am looking forward to Jill Eileen Smith’s next Biblical novel and I am going to hope for another Bible story being brought to life to me in a way it never has before.

My review= 5 out of 5 stars


Available February 2014 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary book from Revell for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.



1 comment:

  1. If you enjoyed other books by Jill Eileen Smith, you'll love her latest novel in the Wives of the Patriarchs series: Rachel. Jill is hosting a terrific giveaway in celebration of the book's release. Details available here. The giveaway ends February 15th so enter soon for your chance to win!

    ReplyDelete