Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Bible Review: The Jesus Bible

*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.*****
 
The Jesus Bible is a children’s specialty Bible, using the NIV version. Each Biblical book highlights where Jesus (Yeshua) can be found throughout the pages. Additional background information is given about each book as well, such as answers to who, what, where, when and why questions relating to those books, as well as a listing of some of the stories in the books. Readers will discover Jesus in both the Old and New Testaments through the clues listed throughout the Bible with the “Hints of a Savior” in the Old Testament and “Jesus Revealed” in the New Testament notes that are given. Readers will also discover more about Jesus through the words he spoke listed in red throughout the Bible, 365 devotional readings, “Live Like Jesus” highlights, Jesus’ life/information pages, and the “study helps” section.

Through my time in reading Exodus and Acts while reviewing this Bible, I noticed that God speaks directly to people a lot and in the Old Testament and Jesus speaks directly to people a lot in the New Testament. When reading the book of Acts, I noticed how Jesus’ disciples referred back to Moses’ law at times. This was interesting to me because I had read part of Moses’ law in Exodus and it was good to see how the two books appeared to fit together in that way, and there are probably many more New Testament books that speak more about Moses’ law. The prayers in the daily devotions enriched my prayer time and the “Live Like Jesus” highlights showed me how I can strive to live more like Jesus in ways that I haven’t grown to be more like him. Being shown the “Hints of a Savior” in the Old Testament made reading the Bible so much more interesting to me because I had discovered Jesus much in the New Testament but I hadn’t noticed very many hints about him in the Old Testament!

It bothered me slightly when one of the devotionals I came across spoke about a holiday that I don’t think is spoken about in the Bible.

Even though the Bible is geared towards 9-12 year olds I believe it’s for anybody who has wondered how Jesus is a part of both the Old and New Testament. One thing that parents and children need to know is that there are no pictures in this Bible, although there are some maps included. It’s straight Biblical text, aside from the study inserts. 

I believe this Bible landed into my hands straight from heaven! I had been praying for God to show me how Yeshua (Jesus) is a part of the Torah and this Bible shows/reveals something about Yeshua in every book of the Bible. I plan to use this Bible for a very long time!

My review= 4.5 out of 5 stars


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers/Zondervan book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment