Friday, January 10, 2014

Book Review: Seeing the Voice of God by Laura Harris Smith

Seeing the Voice of God is a descriptive book about dreams and visions written by Laura Harris Smith. She explains the sleep cycles people go through as they make it to REM dream mode while they sleep. If people sleep long enough we will have enough time to dream a dream or a series of dreams that lasts as long as a film, with the dream(s) often being split up into different scenes. She explains that God can use that time to speak to us while we are asleep to get something across to us that is important for us to know, or to make others aware of…whether it be to prepare for something that is ahead, to pray for someone about a situation, to show us an area of our lives that needs improvement, etc.

Laura also shares how sleep debt affects us and how it can take some time to make up for that debt, which in turn affects our ability to dream. She goes into much depth about visions also, which contain different categories.

Not only does Laura speak about dreams and visions from God but also about how God speaks audibly sometimes. She includes a highly informative dream dictionary that explains symbols and numbers that might appear in dreams from God, and that some of the symbols/numbers might mean something specific to each dreamer or have a Biblical/Spiritual meaning for many people who have dreams with the same symbols/numbers. There is a prayer at the end of each chapter, which helps readers apply what they learn in the chapters to their lives through communication with God, and also an impartation from Laura.

I found this book highly interesting. I now understand that prophets are primarily inspired hearers and seers are primarily visual, and that seers are usually also prophets and prophets are not always also seers. I liked reading about how the congregation that is led by Laura’s husband and herself allow people to come forward to speak about prophetic dreams, visions, and audible words that Abba Father (God) has spoken to them sometimes, although they have specific rules/boundaries about sharing and with those rules/boundaries in place it sounds like nobody gets out of line. According to the author, prophetic dreams and visions make up about 1/3 of the Bible, so when we leave out people who have prophetic input from God we are leaving out much within our congregations. I hope to hear about more congregations such as the one that they lead that are highly supportive of dreams, visions, and audible words from God that are sometimes given to the congregation attenders/members to be spoken of to people in congregational leadership.

It’s such a small thing in comparison to everything else I learned in this book, but one thing that I had a little bit of a hard time with in the book is how homeless people are described in it a few times. For instance, in the dream dictionary a homeless person is defined as “an evil spirit searching for a home” based on Luke 8:27 (Page 155), and there was one other place in the book I ran into a similar description. I believe that homeless people are Yeshua (Jesus) in disguise sometimes.  I am not saying I believe all homeless people are like Yeshua in disguise, I just believe a majority of them probably are, based on the story in Matthew 25:31-46. Update: The author contacted me and she very much has homeless people on her mind. In the places in the book where homeless people are described she was thinking merely of Jesus' words in Luke 11 and Matthew 12 about how when an evil spirit leaves a man it goes through dry places looking for a place to live (rest, dwell)).

I also now have a new understanding of what John 8:47 might mean. I believe it’s more that God is not beside us, or that we aren’t beside him, instead of us not having God in us when we don’t understand what he is saying at times.

About 4 or 5 years ago I attended a training class and they gave me a blank notebook titled “My Book of Dreams”. I filled up almost one page of dreams I wanted to see happen and since reading this book I decided to start journalizing the dreams I have had when I’m asleep instead. I read this book over the course of about a week and I have had 7 dreams, which have happened after sleeping at least 6 hours. I am trying to pay attention to symbols and numbers in my dreams. This is why I believe what the author is teaching in this book about dreams and visions is true because I’ve experienced dreaming dreams that I think God was speaking to me through in the past, and now I can open myself up to more communication from God if I sleep long enough to get to dream mode where he can potentially talk to me more and have the ability to remember my dreams better.




I’d like to think this book is for everybody but I think it’s more for people that want to get closer to God by watching what he wants to show them through their dreams and visions, and want to be used by God as a prophet and/or seer. I also believe it’s for people leading congregations who want to allow people to be used by God in their congregations through their communication with God through dreams, visions, and audible speaking.

My rating = 4.5 out of 5 stars



I received this book free from Chosen Books for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment