Thursday, December 12, 2013

Book Review: The Wall Around Your Heart by Mary DeMuth

The Wall Around Your Heart : How Jesus Heals You When Others Hurt You helps people understand better what the Lord’s Prayer in the Bible means, and how it can help heal people who are suffering relationally. Each chapter explains one line of the prayer and includes a subtitle to help readers go deeper into the meaning (such as for line one: “Pray Like This” gives the subtitle of “Pray First”). Then it goes into even greater detail within each chapter. It explains that Jesus (Yeshua) didn’t end relationships with people when they did things to hurt him and gives examples of how he handled that in different cases. It also explains that when we encounter someone who is difficult (or we are the difficult ones) they may be in our lives to change us and make us better on the inside.

This book brought me into a deeper understanding of the Lord’s Prayer than I’ve ever had before. I am now looking at that prayer a lot differently. It was just a prayer that I’ve prayed with people in unison and now it has much more meaning to me. I hope to be praying it a lot more often with others in the future.

The words in this book convicted me of a lot of things that I am doing wrong relationally, but in a loving way. The hardest part of being relational to me is being kind to people who hurt me, instead I often want to retreat in the opposite direction and be free from them. Jesus’ example is to do the opposite in most cases it seems. I learned that when I want to wall myself off to others instead I should feel the pain and walk towards people instead otherwise the enemy has won in isolating me. I liked learning how one of the definitions of cheap grace is grace without discipleship, which I think happens to people more often than we know who are craving for true discipleship.

I also came across a theme in this book that had recently started for me with another book; it’s about how I shouldn’t blame or be mad at God when other people who are representing him hurt me, thinking that he would do the same. I also received the reminder that God also loves the people who hurt me and that there are times that I hurt people also.

The appendix in the back of the book was helpful to me also. It specifically explains about how to recognize “unhealthy, manipulative, controlling practices…” and can also help people to understand if they are unknowingly operating those types of practices.

This was one of those books that I had a hard time putting down. It felt like a letter from God to me and I hope it has many, many, many more people’s names on the address line. I believe that people who want to understand the Lord’s Prayer better and have been hurt by others who are and are not representing God will benefit greatly from reading this book.

My review= 5 out of 5 stars

I received this book from Booksneeze/Thomas Nelson Publishing for this review. I was not required to give a positive review. The opinions I expressed are my own. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment