Thursday, December 19, 2013

Book Review: Champions in the Wilderness by Bob Santos

Champions in the Wilderness: Fifty-Two Devotions to Guide and Strengthen Emerging Overcomers is a devotional book that will encourage, guide, and strengthen people starting, who are in the midst of, or getting ready to end a spiritual wilderness season in their lives. It is divided into four stages of understanding spiritual wildernesses and is broken out into chapters within those stages which contain topics relating to them. The Bible verses, quotes, and content of the devotionals help give guidance and vision to readers to apply the topics to something they might be currently experiencing in their spiritual wildernesses. They tend to fluctuate between focusing on the author’s and readers experiences to help them imagine their past and current experiences in relation to their spiritual wildernesses.

I imagined all kinds of congregational spiritual wilderness situations people might be experiencing while reading this book, from going from a place of not being in a congregation at all and trying to find one, to moving to a new congregation within a denomination someone is familiar with and finding the way within it’s many ministry opportunities, groups, and classes to be involved with, to finding the way into another kind of congregation that matches their beliefs better but has no or not many apparent ways to connect at first. I also imagined different training grounds that people may be involved with while in these congregational spiritual wildernesses. Then there are probably many kinds of spiritual wildernesses people go through outside of the congregational area as well.

I connected the best with the fourth stage that this book covered; maybe because that is the stage I might currently be in with my spiritual wilderness. It reminded me that spiritual wildernesses can sometimes go on for years and that God can do something great with my trials and tribulations even it doesn’t make sense why I go through them. And it was encouraging to know that God will put something very hard in my life to make me stronger and that he does that out of love to possibly prepare me for something difficult I may have to endure in the future.

This book is a good book to read and keep handy not only for people who are “emerging overcomers”, like the title suggests but also those who are just starting and are in the midst of a spiritual wilderness season. The appendixes in the back of the book should also be helpful for people who don’t already have a relationship with Jesus (Yeshua) who are interested in coming into a relationship with him and also give guidance to people on how to find a healthy congregation.

Although it might be hard for some to find the end of their spiritual wildernesses, this book does a great job of pointing out what God might be doing within us within our spiritual wildernesses and that if we yield to that we will probably eventually find the end.

My review = 5 out of 5 stars

I received this book from BookCrash for this review. I was not required to give a positive review. The opinions I expressed are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment