Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Book Review: The Jesus Story by Dr. William H. Marty

The Jesus Story is a summary of the New Testament, mainly about the life of Jesus. It weaves its way through the Gospels, the book of Acts, and other parts of the New Testament. It takes readers through Jesus' birth and childhood, his ministry, and it breaks the crucifixion of Jesus into different days leading up to it and what happened on those days. Then it goes into Jesus' burial and resurrection and the story of the church outlined in the book of Acts. The main characters and settings are listed at the beginning of the chapters. There is also a chapter summary at the end of each chapter which helps readers to grasp onto the main points.

Although I think this book is good for people who want a summary of the life of Jesus (Yeshua) I really truly believe that this book does not contain "Everything That Happens in the New Testament in Plain English" as the subtitle states. It does summarize a lot of the teachings and the life of Jesus but I can think of a few of his teachings off the top of my head that I don't remember reading about in this book and there are probably many more. I don't remember reading in the story any Bible verses that matched where the parts of the story came from in the Bible as it unfolded but I later found some of the Bible verses outlined on the contents page at the front of the book.

This book might really be useful for people who are just learning about Jesus or have known him awhile but haven't learned much about his character to get to know him better.

My review= 4 out of 5 stars

I received a free copy of this book from Bethany House. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment