Monday, October 21, 2013

Book Review: Rifka Takes a Bow by Betty Rosenberg Perlov, Illustrated by Cosei Kawa

*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.*****

Rifka’s parents work at a Yiddish theater called “The Grand” on Second Avenue in New York. She finds herself backstage a lot and describes what it's like in the prop area, when the stage curtain is closed, when her parents are dressing up for their parts, and also in the dressing room with the actresses. When Rifka sits down in a chair to watch a live performance one day she does something that doesn’t usually happen when a live play is being performed and it turns into something very encouraging.

For some reason performing arts intrigues me and it was interesting to read this story about Yiddish theater. When I read in this story that Rifka bought a dessert for a nickel at “the Automat”, I had a pretty good idea that this book was not written from a modern perspective, and I wondered if Yiddish theater exists very much or at all today. When I read the background information about Yiddish theater and author Betty Rosenberg Perlov I realized that this story is her story because her parents were performers in Yiddish theater during a time period when New York’s Second Avenue housed over a dozen Yiddish theaters. Many Yiddish-speaking Jewish immigrants who lived nearby were entertained through Yiddish theater. I’m so glad Betty shared her story through this book to help educate people about Yiddish theater.

My review= 5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a free copy of this book from Kar-Ben Publishing. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment