Monday, October 28, 2013

Book Review: Messiah: Origin: Volume 1 by Mark Arey (Translator) and Matt Dorff (Adapter), Illustrated by Kai Carpenter

In "Messiah: Origin: Volume 1" different parts of our Messiah's story are described verse-by-verse through the style of a graphic novel/comic book. Each section of the book lists a portion of Scripture and in some cases more than one portion of Scripture for certain sections. Readers can follow along in their Bibles and see the verses come alive graphically; making it an interesting read for those who like to look at graphic drawings while Scripture is being explained to them. In cases where there is more than one portion of Scripture listed per section it starts with the first set of Scripture and moves on to next set of Scripture(s) which are explained graphically in the order that they are listed. The last two sections of the book are written genealogies from the book of Matthew and Luke and contain graphics on the introduction pages to those sections and the pages within those sections only contain written words. An "Index of Scriptural Verses" is also included at the back of the book making it handy for readers to look up certain Scripture references they want to find within the book.


I am no expert in knowing what the times for Jesus (Yeshua) were like but I hoped the drawings in this book would bring out the Jewishness of Yeshua and his world, and since I have no idea exactly what that should look like I tried to use my best discernment. When looking at the drawings of Joseph, Mary, and Yeshua they looked Jewish to me. Maybe more of what I think Nazarene Jewish people look like though, which is good because they became Nazarenes. Some of the people who I think were outside of Yeshua's family in one Israel town looked a little bit monster-like to me during one short part of the book and I doubted if all the people in that town looked like that. I thought the illustrator did a great job on the buildings and the way the towns looked, especially with the transition from Israel to Egypt and then back to Israel.

I had a little bit of a hard time with names being used like Zacharias, instead of Zechariah, and Elisabeth, instead of Elizabeth but that is because I am used to reading/hearing those names that way.

I was continually amazed with how a Biblical story/portion of Scripture was used with each section of this book and that the story became visually alive to me verse-by-verse in relation to those Scriptures. If I hadn't pulled out my Bible while reading this I probably never would have discovered that.


I think some children might really love to use this book in their Bible classes when speaking about the verses the book describes about Messiah's life, although I encourage teachers/facilitators to ask the children to follow along in their Bibles if it is used. Adults who like to follow Biblical stories visually would be most likely also appreciate this book.

My review = 4.5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze/Zondervan book review blogging program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment