Thursday, October 17, 2013

Book Review: Esther's Hanukkah Disaster by Jane Sutton, Illustrated by Andy Rowland

*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.*****

Esther realizes that Hanukkah is only a day away and she hasn’t purchased any gifts for her friends. She spends the day shopping and is excited to pick out gifts that she thinks her friends will love. The next night she lights the shamash candle and uses that to light the first Hanukkah candle on her menorah, then it is time to deliver the presents to her friends. As she delivers them one by one to each of her friends she learns that they are not as excited about the gifts she gives them as she is. Esther, however, is given gifts from her friends that she loves. She feels bad that her gift giving experience was a disaster and thinks up a plan to try to turn things around in a way that will make all of her friends happy.

Esther had a giving heart, although she did not get her friends anything that they liked. This reminds me that I need to get to know my friends better so I can learn what they like and what they don’t like. In some cases it seemed like her friends concentrated more on the thought of the gifts, versus their taste of them, while others were outright about it. I loved Esther’s plan at the end to try to turn the gift giving disaster into something more joyful for her friends and for her as well. 

I love that all Kar-Ben holiday books that I remember reading and reviewing have an explanation of the holiday in the front or the back of the book; in this book it appeared in the back of the book. The pictures in this book brought the story more to life for me as well, showing me just how diverse each of Esther’s friends were since they were all different types of animals with different needs and interests.

My review= 5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a free copy of this book from Kar-Ben Publishing. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment