Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Book Review: A Home for My Heart by Anne Mateer

At one time as a child Sadie Sillsby lived at the Raystown Home for Orphan and Friendless Children, and now she works there as an assistant. Her boyfriend Blaine is saving money to purchase land before he marries her. Sadie thinks that will take a long time so when she is asked to take on the matron’s role at the home she focuses greatly on the possibilities. She knows a lot about how the home operates but she discovers that there is much knowledge in running the home that she was not aware of and she is not sure if she can handle running it the way it should be ran.

I noticed at various points in this story of how different people who are/were respected by others often let those people down. Forgiveness needed to be sought and in some cases the damage was so great and oftentimes continued that those people needed to be distanced from, to prevent further damage. Other people noticed their wrongs and corrected their behaviors. Sadie needed to humble herself at times, when she had to admit she didn’t have enough skills for certain parts of her job at the children’s home. I learned more about what’s required in running a children’s home through this story, such as the financial side of the operations and the reminder that children’s homes stay in existence through contributions from donors. I learned about Sadie’s upbringing and parental background toward the end of the story, and that showed me that the way we are raised doesn’t have to define our future.

My review= 5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary book from Bethany House for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.  

No comments:

Post a Comment