Friday, August 9, 2013

Book Review: Sammy Spider's First Yom Kippur by Sylvia A. Rouss, Illustrated by Katherine Janus Kahn

*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.*****
Sammy the Spider and his mother live in a web that they created inside of a child named Josh’s house. His mother teaches him why Josh is doing certain things to celebrate the Yom Kippur holiday, such as why he is blowing a shofar, and when one is sounded during Yom Kippur. Josh is given an assignment involving the subject of saying “I’m Sorry” for the Yom Kippur holiday which he asks his mother to help him with, and she agrees to help him after dinner. He discovers after not following the directions that his mother gave to him before dinner that his mother, father, Sammy the Spider, and Sammy's mother will be the subjects of the very important assignment he was given involving Yom Kippur.

This is the first Sammy Spider children’s book that I have read and reviewed. I thought it was very creative to tell the story from the perspective of a spider, looking onto the life of a boy and his family as he and his mother lived in a web they had spun. The book also focused on saying “I’m sorry” and giving forgiveness during the holy day of Yom Kippur. It also helps children to understand that spinning webs are the main job of a spider, which they create so they will have a place to live. 

This book with full-color illustrations was created for children ages 3-8, grades PK-2.

My review= 5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a free copy of this book from Kar-Ben Publishing. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment