Monday, August 5, 2013

Book Review: The Gospel According to Les Miserables by Selena Sarns

The Gospel According to Les Miserables is a collection of 30 devotional readings inspired by the book Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. At the beginning of each devotional reading there is a Scripture verse listed that is related to the topic. Each reading includes a short devotional which shows readers how the Les Miserables story uses Godly Biblical themes through the actions of the characters to help them to put some of the teachings of Jesus into action, such as mercy, kindness, love, letting go, etc. Readers will learn more about the background of the characters as well, such as Jean Valjean, Bishop Myriel, Fantine, Cosette, the Thenardiers, etc.

Les Miserables has become a well-loved story for me. This devotional has brought the story more to life for me, in ways that it hadn’t already been opened up by listening/watching the story before. I definitely had not caught onto some of the Godly Biblical lessons until I read this book and I hadn’t caught onto the background of the characters as much either. I liked how some of the themes overlapped with some of the other themes at times. For instance, I read one reading and the next reading sometimes had another type of lesson related to the same situation and characters. I also liked how there was a quote taken from each reading to help readers focus on something important discussed with the reading.

I definitely recommend this book to anyone who has read, watched, or listened to the Les Miserables story before so that they can learn more about the Biblical lessons that are brought to life in the story.

My rating= 5 out of 5 stars

I received a complimentary copy of this book from BookCrash for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment