Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Bible Review: Ignite: The Bible For Teens

*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.*****

Ignite: The Bible For Teens is a New King James Version of the Bible that has been designed especially for teens. A Teen Bible Advisory Committee that was made up of teens and parents provided input on many elements, such as design and content of this Bible so it could be useful for teens. Even before readers reach the gift dedication page they will come across a contents page with an alphabetical listing of the Bible books. There is another non-alphabetical Bible book contents page after the Bible introductory pages. There is a handy section that lists the features of this Bible, which includes descriptions about Spotlight readings (100 readings of God’s story from Genesis to Revelation), White Hot Topics (must-know topics), Flashpoints (Day-to-Day helpful, interesting life topics), Sparks (verses that focus on God’s promises), Soul Fuel (Bible verses that are great to read and memorize), and Book Introductions (Bible book introductions that include basic, important information). A topical index and a dictionary with topical concordance are also some important features found in this Bible.

Since I am not an expert on Bible translations I decided to focus on reviewing the layout of this Bible, which is how I have reviewed Bibles in the past. While I was reviewing the paperback version of this Bible, I studied the books of Luke and Acts. Most of the chapters had a White Hot Topic and/or Flashpoint reading listed alongside or near those chapters, which helped me to know what important points to pick up from those chapters. There were also M-Text and NU-Text descriptions at the bottom of the pages of this Bible, which were supposed to help me to observe the variations that exist between the different manuscript traditions of the New Testament for various Scriptures. I really didn’t understand that part very much, but there is a description about it in the “Preface to the NJKJV” section that helped me to understand enough to know why it was there. That part will be more helpful to people who understand those texts better. There are also notes included at the bottom of the pages for descriptions about meanings of words (sometimes Hebrew meanings are also listed) of selected verses in both the Old and New Testament.

Even though I didn’t review the hardcover version of this Bible I think it will be easier for readers to flip through that version because they will most likely be able to lay it flat. The paperback version I reviewed will most likely be good for readers that want to hold it open on their laps or hold it open some other way(s).

My rating = 4.5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://booksneeze®.com/> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment