Thursday, July 25, 2013

Book Review: The Spiritual Danger of Doing Good by Peter Greer

Peter Greer has a heart for serving and at one point in his life he felt like he was a performer on stage, excited that his supporters back home would hear about the good works that he was a part of. He uses his experiences to show people some of the spiritual dangers of doing good and that we need to be doing it for the right reasons. He explains many topics related to the spiritual dangers of doing good, such as doing instead of being, forgetting your true identity, seeing other people’s sins but not your own, obsessing about what other people think, and pretending to have it all together. Biblical Scripture passages and other references are used throughout the book to back up his thoughts. A list of discussion questions are given at the end of each chapter to help readers expand their thinking on what is discussed in each chapter.

This book opened my eyes to the fact that serving can take control of my life, it can even interfere with my relationship with Yeshua (Jesus). I should never try to serve in a way where I am trying to win the approval of others but as an act of kindness that has been put on my heart when my relationship with Yeshua is already going strong. If I’m doing it to get recognition or applause then I’m doing it for the wrong reasons.

The explanation for Matthew 15:3-5 really got my attention. I don’t remember this ever being focused on or highlighted in my reading time before. We are supposed to give our families support and not be addicted to serving in ministry. There needs to be balance so that our families we are supposed to be spending time with do not get leftovers. Luke 15:11-32 was also opened to me in a new way about the Prodigal Son story. I was shown that both sons had a spiritual condition, in a sense they were two prodigals. The one son who left and spent his father’s money and the one son who served much thinking he was earning his father’s favor. Both sons had a different kind of unhealthy spiritual heart condition.

We should also be more concerned about who we are than what we do and not put on an act that we have it all together. We really might be very broken up inside and God can use our weaknesses in big ways.

I received this book free from Bethany House in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment