Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Bible Review: The NIV Leadership Bible

The NIV Leadership Bible focuses on leadership areas and principles throughout its pages. There are many helpful insights included relating to different Scripture passages. There are 52 weeks worth of Home Pages, with five days worth of readings for each Home Page. The Home Page readings are about key leadership principles related to Skills or Relationships and Personal Development and are listed under the topic “Leadership Principles” in the introduction as well. Sometimes the readers will be led to a Daily Study within another Scripture text, on a different page than the Home Page. These daily studies will take readers deeper into the topic for that week. There is also a topical index to help readers with key leadership issues for each principle that is addressed.

I looked forward to getting out this Bible when I had a chance to try to dig deeper in the Scriptures, because of the helpful side notes and Home Pages that pointed out leadership traits of people in the Bible. At one point I looked for a list with page numbers for each of the 52 Home Pages and I couldn’t find one. I thought maybe it might be helpful to know where the Home Page for each week was located. Then I learned by reading the “Introduction to the NIV Leadership Bible” that at the end of the Home Pages (it tells you where to start in the introduction) you will be directed where to go next to reach the next Home Page. I focused on the Biblical books of Esther, Nehemiah. Malachi, and some of the Psalms while reviewing this Bible. I sometimes saw big differences in the way the Scriptures were written when comparing this translation to one of my other Bible translations, which happens with probably all Bibles. It helped me a lot when I came across one major difference in a Scripture passage to read in the Preface about how every human effort is flawed, which possibly happens in any/all Bible translations.

In general, I like this Bible because of the leadership topics and how it points out how certain people in the Bible modeled leadership traits. The review approach I took was to focus on the layout of the Bible, and not concentrate on the translation, since I am not an expert in Bible translation. This Bible can help many people focus on leadership roles throughout the Bible. God might even stir a desire in some people’s hearts to become leaders while reading this Bible.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment