Sunday, June 9, 2013

Book Review: The Lifestyle of a Prophet by James W. Goll

The Lifestyle of a Prophet helps awaken the gift of prophecy in people. It does a great job of explaining what a prophet is and how God uses them for his good. It describes that a prophet is not perfect; they make mistakes at times just like everybody else does. They often have other roles in life, such as a parent, which means they cannot always be called on to give people a prophetic word when they want one. There are 21 days worth of readings based on different topics relating to prophecy. At the end of the readings for each day there is a prayer listed to help people draw closer to God in the area of prophecy and an Embracing Your Calling section, which gives questions for readers to ask themselves about what they just read to see if they grasped onto what was taught.

One thing I liked in this book is learning that Jesus was probably person-driven and not purpose-driven, which meant to me that he probably cared more about the people that were put in his path and less about completing a task. Also, being a part of a local functioning congregation is important even if people are involved in an itinerant ministry. I also never thought before that if a person often encounters spiritual events that could be a signal that they are being called to be a prophet and that someone can be called to be the prophetic eyes for someone else within a prophetic servant community.

This book really opened my eyes about the subject of prophecy and I believe it will do that for many other people as well.


I received a complimentary copy of this book Chosen Books for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment