Sunday, June 2, 2013

Book Blog Tour: That Certain Summer by Irene Hannon



Val has the looks in the family and Karen has the smarts, both of them are jealous of each other. Their mother is in need of constant care and Karen needs help with taking care of her. Karen calls on her sister Val who is about to have the summer off. Her help will give her a lot of relief and enable her to take care of some other needs. She is willing to make the trip to come and be with her mother for the summer but she also needs to deal with an unresolved issue from the past. Val’s daughter Kristen yearns for some father and daughter time with her father but his girlfriend has started coming into the picture. Oh how she wishes that her mother and father would get back together. Both Val and Karen are unmarried, and are not on the search to find a man to be in each of their lives. When two men come into the story at different times they are unsure if they deserve to find and allow love into their lives. 

I connected well with this story because I have a sibling that I had a relationship restored with in the past and some grandparents who have/had been in need of some caregiving over the last decade. I understood some of the caregiving needs that Val and Karen’s mother had, such as helping her to get around, being with her often in case she needed help, making sure she had nutritious food to eat, etc.   The characters were brought into the story at just the right pace for me. I could feel hearts softening throughout the novel with certain characters while some characters seemed stable and unchangeable with their attitudes. I also loved how congregational life was brought into the story through some opportunities to serve that Val and Karen took on. There were also examples of how Godly compassion that was developed in the characters hearts was put into action. 

I am familiar with Irene Hannon’s suspense fiction novels and I was able to connect just as well with this contemporary fiction novel as well. The story was interesting to me the whole way through. 

My rating = 5 out of 5 stars

Available June 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary book from Revell for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own

2 comments:

  1. Lovely blog! Please follow mine, it's new: readandlovebooks.blogspot.com
    Thanks♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the great review of my latest, Jill!

    ReplyDelete