Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Book Review: Get Off Your Donkey! by Reggie McNeal



Get Off Your Donkey! is a call to action for people to try to be more compassionate and help people who are in need, which in turn will help themselves in the process. It focuses on the Good Samaritan Biblical story from Luke 10:25-37. It explains that the quickest way to grow spiritually is to serve other people, and is a path to discipleship to live out Jesus' teaching to love others as we love ourselves. It helps readers come up with a plan to get off their donkeys, like the Good Samaritan did and develop a scorecard with an arena of interest, an activity, agenda, actions, and an accountability plan to move forward with making our world a better place for others and ourselves.

I learned from reading this book that if I am so involved in congregational activities and fellowship I probably won’t have time for people who need help; this would make it more about religion than following Jesus. Jesus loves the people in the world and if I am stuffed away in my congregational building most of the time I won’t have as much time to help people in the world. It gave me a reminder that there are countless ways to serve other people, such as feeding and clothing homeless people, listening to a widow who needs someone to talk to, or mentoring children in an after school program. Even though I am already a person that likes to spend some time serving out in the world, this book helped move my interest level up a notch to want to spend less time at my congregation and to find more time to try to help people out in the world.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Baker Books. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment