Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Book Review: Unrivaled by Siri Mitchell



Lucy Kendall returns from her trip from Europe to find that her father is not well. She feels guilty that she went on a luxurious trip while he was suffering; his candy business is now at risk of going under. She is given the title “Queen of Love and Beauty”, although sometimes her mannerisms don’t reflect that title. Charlie Clarke is released from jail for a crime he didn’t comment, even though some of his reputation seems to be destroyed. His mom wants him to consider a new line of business with his father. Lucy instantly trusts Charlie but it’s possible she trusts him just too much because his father is taking over their candy business, and Lucy is not too happy about that. Lucy’s relationship with her fiancĂ© is a different story altogether. Alfred Arthur is a man that doesn’t seem to have any unlikable qualities, although she is having a hard time focusing her thoughts on him.

Lucy’s sensitive spirit brought her into the arms of Charlie. Although he was no good at stealing from anybody, he kept an eye on Lucy which told me that he was not so sure about Alfred’s ability to care for her. As Charlie got to know Alfred, he seemed gifted at uncovering what was underneath his exterior. I had no idea that the candy business is such a vicious business until I read this novel. Recipes are easily stolen, and the hijacking of delivery vehicles can commonly occur. Candy was also a common luxury among lower classes in the past, which I believe is probably still true today. 

I recommend this book for historical fiction lovers, and for people with a sweet tooth!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary book from Bethany House Publishers for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed my book! Thanks for taking the time to write and post a review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Siri. I look forward to hopefully reading and reviewing more of your books in the future!

    ReplyDelete